- They get stuck on difficult words.
- They can’t find and use HFWs (high frequency words) on yellow and blue butterfly cards
- Re-jig writing programme so that children who aren’t working with the Teacher are doing writing HF word, letter sound activities that will actually help them with their writing - until they are able to write independently.
- Focus on, read from, chant, play games with words on cards
- Model the thinking and trying unknown words in writing modelling (show them how you attempt words and underline without getting it right)
- Teach letter sounds as part of reading programme - whole class ABC song every day, EEs in reading rotation
- Recognise and reward sound attempts so that this is seen as a valuable skill (without always correcting the word). The attempt is what you want, if you correct it all the time learners get the message that their attempt isn’t needed because you will come and write it anyway.