CoL Inquiry Update, Week 9
- What is my problem: My children lack the mathematical language, needed to explain how they work out a problem. In addition, this means they find it difficult to understand what many word problems are asking them to do in the first place.
- What is my inquiry question: Would the everyday, explicit and rich teaching of mathematical language, coupled with step by step techniques of unpacking word problems, help my learners to better understand mathematical concepts, and better answer questions and explain how they got their answer?
- Figure out what is is asking us to do. What are the relevant, or important numbers in the question.
- We have spoken about the word ‘context’ and what this means. With every question I have introduced to the children they have had to explain the context of it.
- The third step is to explain, step by step how you SOLVED the problem.